income tax online

	I am not defending all the inaccessible web sites at all,
but the problem these days is that the web developers themselves
don't sit around and write html with text editors like one can do
if necessary.  They are using commercial web authoring engines
which are full of mystery meat software and proprietary code
aimed at either Netscape or Internet Explorer.

	The developers of the actual web sites don't seem to know
what went in to their actual page, only that it looks a certain
way on this or that browser.

	I am trying to figure out what it will take to get
javascript support for lynx, but I haven't really even begun to
start actually solving the problem.  I am still thinking and
planning.

	While this discussion is technically off-topic for this
list, it does deal with the technology needed to use the web and
the problems we have.

	In brief, I have had no luck at all in getting any real
change on a system-wide basis even where I work.  Our web sites
are all built with Lotus Domino and they are junk as far as lynx
goes.  Netrik will read the first page, but you can't really do
anything yet with netrik so it is a neat concept car, but it
doesn't get me to the store today.

	I had a brief correspondence with Mindleaders.com last
year. They clame accessibility to their site for screen readers.
If the screen reader is named JAWS, and your browser is from
Microsoft, maybe so.  If it is lynx and you use Linux, forget it
for now.  You can't even log in.

	Here is my final question.  Is something considered
accessible if it is only accessible through JAWS?

	As for the javascript for lynx, I got the mozilla
distribution and am going to see if there is any Earthly way to
use the javascript rendering engine in a text-based environment.
It's gonna' be a long hard fight.

	Right now, as far as I know, we simply don't have any way
to work these javascript-run sites in UNIX.

	Maybe I should first try to get lynx to gracefully handle
relative links because a large number of sites would work if not
for that.

	As usual, the possibilities are exciting, but the current
reality is frustrating.

Martin McCormick