Hacking Linux

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 03:56:05PM -0400, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Hello,
> This is sort of a follow-up to my inquiry about the susceptibility of Linux
> to viruses. I've been told that it is easy to hack Linux and take control of
> a machine. A friend tells me that they have a Linux server in their lab and
> that it used to get hacked often. If this is the case, what can be done
> about it.

Make sure you don't run any unneccesary servers, use a firewall, and
configure it not to let any computers you don't trust connect to your
system. Those are the easiest things to do. Ask someone you trust to do
a portscan of your system when you are done, so that you know what
services are running and also, one of the most important things to
remember, always install all securitypatches that gets released (if you
have the software they are for installed), to get a notices about these
subscribe to your distributions security-mailinglist.

/Peter Toneby
--
Alpha Test Version:  Too buggy to be released to the paying public.
Beta Test Version:  Still too buggy to be released.