Linux and Gnome

Hello,
I've been looking at the Gnome Website. As I understand it, Gnome is a
desktop and a set of applications that can run on any Unix-like system,
including Linux. They even have an accessibility section and have done some
work on both speech and Braille screen readers.
Have any of you used Gnome? What is your opinion of it?
Thanks.
John

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org