Hacking Linux

The simplist thing is not having any unnecessary daemons running.  Closing
off everything but the most needed daemons will grately improve the
security of the linux box.  Usually what I do is close off everything in
/etc/inetd.conf and only open what I need.  Also, I do netstat -a |grep
LISTEN to see what all ports ar listening and close off any services that
I don't want.  In addition running a firewall such as ipchain or iptalbe
script can help a lot.  With all these things done you should have a hack
free linux box.

--- Raul A. Gallegos mailto:raul@asmodean.net http://www.asmodean.net
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then
something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination...
We learned to talk...