big picture

Richard -

Some synthesizers (like the DECtalk) accept "marks" (special codes) in
the text streams they are speaking, and provide feedback when they
encounter a mark.  Others (like the Apollo) don't provide feedback as
a matter of course, but can be queried as to how many marks are in the
queued text.

       - Jim Van Zandt