big picture

the following question in phrased in terms of emacspeak, because that is
my main interest, but I'm interested in screenreading software, too.
I've read the emacspeak documentation without finding an answer to
this question.  I would just install emacspeak, but I do not have
access to a speech synth and my computer has no soundcard.

suppose I tell emacspeak to keep reading aloud till I say stop.  when I
say stop, will emacspeak know how many words the synth will have read?
in particular, can emacspeak automatically move point to right after the
last word read aloud?

how, in techie terms, does emacspeak come by this information?
ie, does the synth tell emacs how many words it read aloud?