red hat system almost talking

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Interesting, run level was originally at 3 and couldn't get speech for
> login prompt and beyond.  Had to use exec >/dev/ttyS0 2>&1 to get enough
> speech to edit files.

Runlevel 3 is still right.  Your redirection of IO  to the serial
port is a kludgy workaround for not having configured a getty
(login prompt and serial terminal support) for your serial port.
Normal installs never do this for you, because it's impossible
for the distribution vendor to predict what you will have or need
on your serial ports, except for a mouse, which is normally where
you have your synth.

It seems like there was some stuff in the FAQ about how to set up
a serial terminal (which is essentially what your synth is acting
as in this situation).  This can be tricky, because there are
hundreds of different serial terminals out there.  Here are some
old sample lines from my inittab (no longer used):

# t2:345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS1 DT9600 vt320-k311
# t2:345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS1 DT19200 vt100
# t3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS0 ttyS_9600 wyse50
# t4:345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS4 wyse85_384 vt200

# A matching custom line from /etc/gettydefs:
wyse85_384# B38400 CS8 CLOCAL CRTSCTS # B38400 SANE -ISTRIP CLOCAL CRTSCTS #\7@L\nLogin: #wyse85_384

The next to last (or possibly last) entry in each getty line in
inittab is really a reference to a tag on a configuration line in
the /etc/gettydefs file.  Note the custom login prompt, which
includes a '\7', for the bell character (which may not be audible
-- had to use mgetty for that, but things improve).

Stock sample lines from default gettydefs (running at 9600 and 19200 baud):

# 9600 baud Dumb Terminal entry
DT9600# B9600 CS8 CLOCAL # B9600 SANE -ISTRIP CLOCAL #@S login: #DT9600

# 19200 fixed baud Dumb Terminal entry
DT19200# B19200 CS8 CLOCAL # B19200 SANE -ISTRIP CLOCAL #@S login: #DT19200

If the stock DT19200 line was suitable for you, you could
simply add a line to your inittab, after the stock mingetty
lines, like this (or use the more pessimistic 9600 baud
entry):

t0:345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS0 DT19200

If I recall correctly, I added the "-r1" to eliminate the
possibility of automatic terminal to getty chatter (nasty to
diagnose), but you then have to hit return once before you get a
login prompt.

You will also need to set the terminal type for your particular
hardware, so as to eliminate funny terminal escape sequences in your
output, in your .bashrc:

TERM=vt100
export TERM

for a vt100 terminal (change as necessary -- search /etc/termcap
for a terminal entry label appropriate to your synth).  You will
see that I also used an extra (last) field in my custom getty
lines for such a label (sets it even earlier, but might get
changed in /etc/profile).

Someone with the same synth could probably tell you more
specifically what to put in your config lines.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid