Static IPs

Someone described a pseudo-always-on dsl connection from Ameritech,
wherein the company drops you if you're not busy,
and you wake up with a new ip address.
What a frightening thought.

I've just started hosting my own web site, on my own machine,
and I don't know why I didn't take the plunge long ago.
It's easy, and it's fun.
There are numerous advantages, and a couple disadvantages.
Well anyways, it would be unthinkable if I had such a terrible isp.
I certainly can't reprogram all the name servers on the internet
every time they decide to give me a new ip address.
The cable at-home service doesn't work like that,
and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
They even tried to help me set up,
knowing that I was on Linux.
That's pretty rare.

Getting back to the IPs;
one day we lost the bill, or it got lost in the mail, or whatever,
and I was behind, so they turned off the service.
I called with my credit card to turn it back on and asked,
please please please,
can I have my old ip back again.
"Sure, we've been saving it for you."
Now that's class,
and its certainly important to those of us who are hosting our own sites.

Karl Dahlke