red hat install lock up

If you disconnect the system, you will surely not get speech if you do not
reconnect it within about 15 seconds. That's just the way it is.

You will not crash linux by doing this--you will just lose speech.  Don't
do it.

Instead, silence speech by pressing insert+enter -- that's the enter on
the numeric keypad, not the enter key on the qwerty. Then use speakup's
screen review feature to explore the screen and monitor the progress of
the installation. My own preference at this point is to park the reading
cursor on the spot which shows the number of packages remainint to be
installed. Then, an occasional tap on the numeric keypad's 5 key lets me
know how many there are to go,.
 On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> For the installation we selected everything and got the hard drive
> partitioned with disk druid.  I got to put the parameter in for lilo and
> eventually got asked to put the second cd in and hit ok.  No problem more
> files were being installed.  Then I dozed off for a little bit and when I
> woke up all was silent.  I used the keys to find out what was on the
> screen and found the whole system had locked and control had gone away
> from the keyboard.  I take it that this is the penguin's way of telling me
> I neeed more installation practice.  Though next time when packages start
> installing I'll disconnect the litetalk from the computer.  I found that
> allows installation to go much faster.  My install also warns me it's time
> to run e2fsck because check time has been reached but then goes on to do
> the install.  I hope that's not why the linux installation won't come up
> talking.  I think we're further ahead of the game though since we have the
> disk partitioned and formatted provided we can skip that step.  The boot
> disk I have loads speakup 0.9 on the system.  I'll get an update if one's
> available and needed but before I try another installation of this system.
> I did try bringing up linux on the hard drive with floppy and cd removed
> and the speech synthesier was detected but the installation came up silent
> this time too so I'll try this again tomorrow night.
>
> Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp