problems connecting to ameritech.net dsl: debugging trtried

Ok, first I tried going into the ppp/options file and setting a debug
level but that didn't put any more information into syslog.  When I tried
typing pppd debug  I was told "the remote system is required to
authenticate itself but I couldn't find a suitable secret password for it
to do so.  None of the available passwords would let it use an ip
address."  If this is talking about my password with ameritech.net, I
checked what I have in pap-secrets and it's the one ameritech claims is my
password, though it's not the one I tried to put it in the system so it
must be a default one.  Any more ideas?  I do try to research things and
read info and man pages, but if you tell me to do something it might be
wise to tell me how to do it.  Thanks.
One thought:  is the dsl system completely separate from the ppp/dialup
system?  If not, I was wondering if I could try accessing it through the
access number by ppp to see if my user id and password really work.  The
interesting thing is that when I try sending email to my supposed new
email address, I get it back as undeliverable.  Maybe they don't activate
your email until you actually log in for the first time?  I don't know.

Cheryl