speakup disks for rh 7.1

My friend burned me one, I told him to use that saitech or whatever server
it was with speech in it, and it didn't talk. I then used a floppy I got
from ftp://speakup.octothorp.org, and that installed, but depmod fails
because of the difference in version of -2BOOT in the kernel. I tried
simlinking what I had, but that fails too. I bet fat32 support is in a
module so downloading a new speaking kernel won't help.