FreeBSD Access (Was Re: ultrasonix )

Of course, I've read about some of this embedded linux stuff, but the snag
comes with implementing speech. Emacs is difficult to use if you've never
done much with it, and it wouldn't help in the situation of a machine
without network working, as you get no real shell talking in it. I don't
know if linux can handle directx, but that could be an application for
embedded stuff, with a sound card, take it's input through some processing
software, and give an output in real time, sure sox can do it, but I don't
know how to use that.