linux questions.

Hi

Yes, it is relatively easy to install.  On the Slackware disk you'll have
speakup.i and speakup.s kernel images.  The "i" = IDE and the "s" = SCSI.
You'll either need to rawwrite the appropriate image to a floppy and the
same for the color.gz image found on the CD.  Or you can start with loadlin
from a dos partition.  This method is more rigid as rawwriting images to
floppies can be unreliable when using a screen reader.  I think that you'll
find enough information on the CD to get you started.  You'll need to pass
some parameters to the kernel at boot up to tell the kernel which
synthesizer you're using.  For example, if you were using a DecTalk Express
on COM 1 you'd pass something like this:

ramdisk speakup_synth=dectlk speakup_ser=0

I'm sure that you will find all the information you need on the standard CD.
But don't be afraid to ask here or on the Speakup list.  You might want to
have a look at the Speakup reflector either from Windows or Linux.  See the
Speakup site if you need further documentation.

htt://www.linux-speakup.org

HTH

Gena