Problems with Brltty

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, L. C. Robinson wrote:
>
> > I think turning kudzu off is a bad idea, especially for
> > inexperienced users.
>
> You think so?
>
> I really feel like your suggestion about editing scripts or
> config files is more likely to frighten inexperienced users
> than a simple "chkconfig kudzu off".  I personally never needed
> it after the initial Red Hat installation.

You may have a point.  I hadn't thought about it from that angle.
I guess it depends on how often the user changes their hardware,
and how confident or experienced they are.  Ultimately, though,
unless one has full access the the GUI or other menu oriented
configuration interface, learning to read documentation and edit
text config files is the easiest way out (and often it is still
the easiest way, even _with_ the GUI).  But it's been too long
since I was at that level for me to say for sure -- come to think
of it, I learned at the text level, before the menu stuff even
became available.  Anyway, I can see that, for many users,
turning kudzu off is a good option.  They can always run it from
the command line, if it is needed.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson