the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

Probably not bigger than the average laptop. What's the expected battery
life on it? Laptops are inefficient on power, thy last at max three hours,
which is never enough for taking notes for classes and the like, and the
dectalk express puts one in an even tougher situation, that being the
internal battery. Is there yet made an adapter that I can plug the wall
wart in to that supplies AC power from batteries that I can replace when
they go dead? MS Sapi kind of sucks, and so does the sound on my laptop.
At 06:35 PM 11/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>frankly, like something lighter. By the time I load up everything I need
>to take on the road to support my computer habits, that old briefcase gets
>quite heavy. Sometimes, I wish I had picked the Thinkpad X20, though the
>total weight would not have been that different with all of the
>peripherals.
>
>The attraction of the Papenmeier is the thing missing in a Thinkpad--the
>braille. Also, it is attractive to think that I could show up in public
>and do all the things that one does on a computer on a device obviously
>aimed at blind users. There's a powerful message to that.
>
>The price is part of the argument against this. But another argument
>against is the form factor. The Papenmeier is big, far too big, imho, at
>8.5 by 11 inches by whatever thickness.
>
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Luke Davis wrote:
>
>> I would still like to know what one of these cost.  *Without* a corporate
>> discount, an IBM Thinkpad A20E, with CD and Zip Drive, is less than
>> $1,400.00.  That *is* a full featured laptop, and unless a particularly
>> assistive device is going to be at least a third, and probably more, less
>> expensive than the Thinkpad, I, as someone who wants full functionality,
>> am going to buy the Thinkpad.
>>

>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
>>
>> > Tommy:
>> >
>> > I need to respond to this last note from you. I appreciate what you
say in
>> > this note. While I do not agree with all of what you say, I do agree that
>> > that the Papenmeier is probably far and away the best choice among
>> > available products of its kind today. As you said in another note on this
>> > list the other day, it comes close to a laptop computer. In fact, were I
>> > to get one (and I might), I would try to use it just that way.
>> >
>> > My comments, while strongly stated, are certainly not directed against
you
>> > personally. I sincerely hope you don't take them that way. The failure of
>> > the assistive technology industry to bring the price of such units down
>> > is, in my view, no longer acceptable. And, to my understanding, it is the
>> > product that takes advantage of free software which bears a greater
>> > responsibility to its customers in this regard. But, the responsibility
>> > can also be shared out among various not for profit agencies and
>> > governmental entities. Fortunately, price is also negotiable and subject
>> > to change. Market pressure is just one way it can change.
>> >
>> > In short, the part I don't agree with is is where you say that you and I
>> > have no control over price. I intend to push down on the price by several
>> > means, which include those I have employed here in the past few
>> > days--where I've challenged you, as the representative of the
>> > manufacturer, to justify it. You, as the manufacturer's representative on
>> > this list, might take what is said here back to headquarters. I would
>> > regard that as your duty to us, actually.

That's