the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

presumably any sa1110 cross-compiler would work, but there could be some
reason it woulden't.

in fact, any of the standard distributions of linux should run on it as long
as you can get the bootloader specs and how it does it's boot process.

of course, the braille models might need to know how to understand a brl
keyboard, but the qwerty model should resemble stock arm boards and
connectors other then the lack of visual display...
it should make no difference for the compiler of course.  I woulden't want
to build on the machine itself, just as you don't compile stuff on your
ipaq.  you generate cross-code or multi-platform code and the strip it or
whatever.

the beauty will be in adding a later kernel and seeing it take more recent
cf cards ...  like the support for gps and cellular cards  whch would add
instant functionallity without any intervention from the manufacturer...

this is  in particular contrast to the humanware model where you cant really
do anything with the underlying operating system...

to me, the brlnote is like selling software that is accessible, but not
being able to use windows itself... kinda like the early days of arkenstone
or something...