Network and router question

Hi all!
I now have two computers up with debian linux--my own, and one I am fixing
up for friends and training them on before they take it home. I hope that
training people and thus having the two people will become a regular state
of affairs.
My own computer is on Charter cable with a Motorola surfboard 1000 cable
modem and a 3com509 card. The other computer I am working on has an
ethernet card, a compaq intellignt that runs under the thunderland driver;
I have it recognized but it isn't hooked up at this point. I would like to
be able to network the two computers, as I am having to use ppp on the
extra computer.
I have a friend who is helping me to look into the networking
possibilities. It seems that I have at least two options here. I could
have my main computer double as a router, or I could fix up an old 486 as
a router and network it with the other two computers.
If I go the route of the 486, my friend has something through the Linux
router Project (lrp)--he says that what he has is called duchstein--which
he would put on the 486.
My questions are:
Can anybody tell me the advantages/disadvantages of setting up with a
separate machine as router vs. uysing my main linux box?

Once it is up and running, if I use a 486 as a router, will I need a
speech synthesizer or brltty on it and on the other two computers?
Are there other ways to do this that I am overlooking?
Thanks.

Cheryl