isa to pci card adapter?

Do I really need to reformat? Or can I just reinstall? It must just be that
the place I get my system serviced and where I got it may not seem to know
much. I discovered when they stuck a new CD drive in when my old one quit,
the new hardware messages came up when it was booted at home for the first
time, the strange sound I haven't got in quite awhile know came through the
internal speaker that normally only beeps out the self test on boot.