isa to pci card adapter?

keeping old ISA based peripherals and interfaces around is not an issue
yet. New motherboards still come with ISA bus. Depending on your computer
case you can choose betwen ATX style and older PC AT style motherboards
and power supplies. In case you want to upgrade or need to replace the
motherboard because of HW problems, I would suggest to migrate to ATX
style systems to keep you up to date for the next 5 to 10 years.

Tyan motherboard http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinitykta.html for
example, has one ISA slot that you could use for legacy card.

On the higher end would be Supermicro
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/RCC_LE/S2DL3.htm
with ethernet and SCSI build in.

Many more more options are available. I see them in local store like Fry's
etc. They still carry old AT style motherboards for people who just
want to upgrade the motherboard with CPU memory and such.

And the last resort is surplus stores. Sometimes they carry new
motherboards, inventory leftovers or replacements from the upgrades, etc.

I doubt that your problems would show up as a strange sound under windows.
It's more likely your windows simply needs reinstall. Who knows what
happened, all it takes is some weird changes in the registry and the
system is screwed. The only way to take care of it is to reinstall it.

--
Rafael