linux, and unix.

If you can log into your ISP via ssh or telnet you are probably running
some form of unix or linux. Your ISP could be running Windows but then you
wouldn't be able to log in and get a command prompt. (More accurately
called a shell prompt.)

If you can log in via telnet or ssh, you can type:

    uname -a

In linux, you'll get all kinds of interesting info like operating system,
version, date compiled, node name. But it's rare thsese days for an ISP to
give subscribers shell accounts even if they are running linux. Few people
know how to use them anyway and they're a security risk.

If you don't have a shell account, you could try going to the home page for
your ISP. It often says something about the operating system the ISP is
running.