Trying to boot dos from lilo

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Here are the results of my run of 'lilo -v -v -v -t". I also did try

<snip>
> Added LinuxOLD (alias 2)
>     <dev=0xe0,hd=0,cyl=11,sct=36>
>     "ro root=303 speakup_ser=1 sb=0x220,7,1,5"
>
>   Mapping BIOS drive 0x80 to 0x81
>   Mapping BIOS drive 0x81 to 0x80

Now, it seems odd that the last two lines would appear before the
next line.  I don't see these lines at all on my system when
using the test option, even though I swap the drives.  The
swapping lines should come in the section that starts with the
"other = ..." line, in your config (after that line).

Try querying your installed config (-q instead of the test
option), and see what you get.

> Boot other: /dev/hdb1, on /dev/hdb, loader /boot/chain.b
> Device 0x0341: BIOS drive 0x81, 16 heads, 826 cylinders,
>                63 sectors. Partition offset: 63 sectors.
> Device 0x0340: BIOS drive 0x81, 16 heads, 826 cylinders,
>                63 sectors. Partition offset: 0 sectors.
> Mapped 6 (4+1+1) sectors.
> Added dos (alias 3)
>     <dev=0xe0,hd=0,cyl=11,sct=57>
>     "root=303 speakup_ser=1 sb=0x220,7,1,5"

I bet the reason you get this last append line, is because
you put your "append = ..." line in the global section, instead
of after each "image = ..." line.  I'm also guessing that it
makes no difference to the dos config (probably gets ignored).
I did that, to simplify my config, and it seems to work.  When
I run lilo with the query option, I get:

   win95
       Password is required for specifying options
       Boot command-line won't be locked
       No single-key activation
       No fallback
       BIOS drive 0x80 is mapped to 0x81
       BIOS drive 0x81 is mapped to 0x80

So the append line probably won't even show up for dos, when
the actual finished map file is queried.

Do:
/sbin/lilo -V
LILO version 21
(Note that the -V is uppercase)
My system has the above version: some early versions used a
different loader than the default chain.b, when swapping drives,
which had to be explicitly specified -- eg:
   loader = /boot/any_d.b

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html