linux, and unix.

When you compile a program for one os it will not run on another os
without some tweaking or a complete recompile.  For example the ls
command for linux is a different compiled version than the ls command in
Solaris.  Shell scripts for the most part run on any unix/linux os with
no problems.  Even shell scripts sometimes have to be tweaked though
because of the different shell you may run it on.

For example in some echo commands it will the the -n parameter and some
won't.

Best regards