linux, and unix.

While the other answers to your question are, for practical
purposes, fairly accurate, as far as they go, technically, there
actually are some binary compatibility features between Unixen.
Early on, Linux got a binary compatability module, to help with
the lack of application support from various vendors at that
time.  One can still find this in module form (sort of like a
driver), in /lib/modules/*/misc/iBCS.o, but it's not likely to be
used much anymore: the pendulum has now swung the other way; the
other Unixen are now providing similar modules and compatibility
features so that they can run Linux binary (compiled) programs.

Also, Unix is a now a brand name that belongs to a standards
group (Novell donated the brand, when they owned the primary
license rights).  In theory, a Linux distributor could work to
make their distribution completely Unix compliant, pay for the
testing to prove it, and get the actual Unix brand, but it would
be pointless -- a waste of money.  Linux is fast becoming the
de-facto standard for Unixen, having put the weaker Unix
companies out of business, and is now even a threat to Microsoft,
by their own admission.  Linux is now pushing the leading edge of
GUI innovation, and those desktop interfaces are being adopted by
the older commercial Unix companies that survive.  M$ continues
to lag way behind in this and other areas.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html