Hello!

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:17:52AM -0600, Brent Harding wrote:
> On the idea of distributing linux around, if I bought a boxed set of redhat
> or some other distro, is it legal to copy those CD's and give them to
> someone else? Or does that only apply to CD's made from the iso images. I
> heard somewhere you could do it, and it's technically not difficult, but
> these distros are commercial products.

i seem to recall in the "old" days, that you were generally restricted from
making a CD-to-CD copy of the distribution.  however, copying the contents
of the CD, and then burning your own CD's was never an issue (this applying
to the "base" GPL part, not necessarily the demoware stuff).

on further reading of the Redhat 7.2 boxed set, i can't find any restrictions
at all on copying, other than the requirement that you not sell the copied
CD's as if they were official and/or endorsed by "Redhat".

of course, other distro's may differ (turbolinux in particular).
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York