transfering linux system to another hard drive

OK, I understand this better now. I don't know Debian particularly. Most
of my experience is with Redhat, where the initial boot disk doesn't
matter as much, as long as you have the more up to date CD ROMs or ISO
images. I certainly do understand about wanting to minimize the work
involved.

Because the best laid plans can so oft go astray, I suspect it's still
wise to back up critical files to the extent you can. This should include
the things that are not easily replaced--yhour data files from /home,
anything you've spent time configuring and tweaking in /etc, certainly
your mail spool file in /var/spool/mail.  If you have the full Debian
install and the space to put that on your current hd, you might want to
consider rsync to bring it up to date and then burning a new set of CD
ROMS before undergoing to hardware work. If that's a reasonable
possibility, it could prove worth it.

My most recent experience with something like this came last spring. I set
out to drop a new slave hard drive into my office computer. Something went
wrong and my old hard unexpectedly came up dead. I had no choice but to
reinstall from scratch. For the first time in my life, after just a brief
moment of panic, I realized that I was really OK because everything
important was backed up. Today, the knowledge that my critical data is
backed up gives me the confidence to play around with parted which is new
to me. As with most things new, mistakes come along with the successes.
But, it's no hardship because of the backups.

 On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> simply install then move the data, including appropriate /etc
> > configurations, back over. Certainly seems more secure and less
> > experimental to me.
> I would say you are basically right, only how far would I have to go with
> the install? What I don't like is that I have to use speakup disk that are
> an older version than my present system, and I don't want to install the
> old kernel and base system etc. If I can just use the debian rescue and
> root disk to create my partitions and initialize them I don't have
> aproblem, but I'm trying to avoid having to use ppp at all and having to
> do a massive upgrade after I install.
>
> Cheryl

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp