Re: how to run AGL from a windows 10 machine #help

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 02:06:07PM -0700, Alex Lucero wrote:
> Hello all,
Hi Alex,

> I am interested in contributing to the AGL project and using the
> software to develop a user interface for an automotive project of my
> own. I am having some trouble getting started while following the
> documentation for virtualbox and qemu. Most of my virtual machine
> experience has been with VMWare in the past so I did not expect much
> difference getting up and running.
What problem in the documentation exactly?

> After launching the image in VB I am left with a blank screen that
> seems to be unresponsive, are there steps that I am missing to get the
> demo to launch or could my virtual machine settings be impacting the
> launch of the software?
To get it running into virtualbox you'll need to follow-up the
steps at https://docs.automotivelinux.org/en/needlefish/#0_Getting_Started/1_Quickstart/Using_Ready_Made_Images/

The blank/black image sounds like the IDE/AHCI issue when we switched
to UEFI. You'll also need to change from the default controller to ICH.

> I am using a windows 10 laptop and virtual box for my emulation, I tried using QEmu with no success.
>
> If there are additional steps to setting up for Windows machines, may
> I volunteer to document and contribute these steps to the project?
Hmm, if you're more familiar with wmare maybe additing some
documentation for using it? Suspect fairly similar changes being needed:
using an ICH controller and switch from IDE to AHCI to be able to boot
the image. Tweaking the graphics backend could probably be also
something to explore.