Re: Pumped-Fuel Release 7 Linux and Web

If I forge ahead now with new ivi/ped dashboard design (no idea how long will take), and assuming with Joel's help we resolve all the AGL/ped linux build issues It should run on current AGL demo hardware although may just look odd - correct ?
best regards

To clarify there are no build issues per-say, rather per Google it's by design.

Flutter has confusing nomenclature around the term Linux.  Technically they directly support two "Linux" variants:
1. Android
2. GTK embedder (Desktop/Canonical)

Flutter 1P plugins refer to "Linux", as-in their GTK embedder only.  What is happening is third party developers state their plugin supports Linux, and are using the 1P patterns.  In reality these plugins *only* support the Flutter GTK embedder.

Using these 1P plugins are not compatible with custom embedders, and the area owner (Stuart Morgan) stated this would not change.

The Flutter lead engineer (Ian) did state there was community work around a generic solution, which he pointed me to, and I am getting involved with.

In the meantime work is required to port GTK plugins to work with ivi-homescreen (custom embedder), because the "flutter build linux" command is only for GTK/host builds (does not Cross compile).  This involves forking all the plugins and related deps, and appending a custom embedder platform type.  This is not entirely trivial, and would involve lots of maintenance.

The recommendation at this time when dealing with Flutter and custom embedders is to avoid Flutter plugins that implement the Flutter 1P Linux Plugins pattern.

My experiment next week is to look at the gap for porting some of the plugins you are using. I'm not committing to porting all of 1P "Linux" Plugins you are using, it's an experiment.

Another area of concern is that the Flutter 1P "Linux" Plugins load dynamic code without any signing validation step, something you do not want in production; easy attack vector.

Note that at Toyota we are not using any Flutter 1P Plugins.

Hope that helps to better understand the problem.

Joel

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#9993) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_