Re: 'Merry' Magic Marlin Milestone 1 (v12.91.0) release

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, Vasyl Vavrychuk wrote:

> On 1/17/2022 8:20 PM, Scott Murray wrote:
> > The tbtnavi app renders the map display that
> > gets sent to the cluster by the weston remote display gstreamer stuff.
> > Getting the app itself to build and run without the app framework isn't
> > necessarily a big job, but the wrinkle is that it was reworked at one
> > point to use the navigation binding to receive the routing to use from the
> > main navigation app.  The previous implementation was D-Bus based (GENIVI
> > Navicore API), which we could potentially try to resurrect in some
> > updated form, though I am somewhat a bit loathe to do so.  It might be
> > simpler to rig up something with the navigation values from VSS, though,
>
> What is VSS?

VSS = Vehicle Signal Specification, see:

https://www.w3.org/auto/wg/wiki/Vehicle_Signal_Specification_(VSS)/Vehicle_Data_Spec

and:

https://github.com/COVESA/vehicle_signal_specification

> > since we could leverage kuksa.val for that.  I am open to suggestions on
> > how to proceed, or pointers to something we could reuse.
>
> The main use case for tbtnavi would be demo mode rather then real world GPS
> data. By demo mode, I mean long touch on navigation application to place a
> destination point and see the car driving. I don't know where this is
> implemented: in ondemandnavi application or in some service?

That's implemented in ondemandnavi, it has some code to just move the
current map position along the navigation route.  In Lamprey and earlier,
the route destination and current position are published by ondemandnavi
using the agl-service-navigation binding, and tbtnavi was reading them
from it.  That's likely possible to recreate with kuksa.val, but it's not
looking likely to happen for Marlin 13.0 at the moment.

> Sidenote, to demo GPS data I expect that initial position in navigation
> application is placed to physical location of the board.

That's never been implemented in any of the upstream nav demos AFAIK.
It would definitely be possible to implement with ondemandnavi since it
downloads required map tiles, but it was never asked for.  However, you
can set the default starting location by changing the longtitude/latitude
in /etc/naviconfig.ini, that's what's been done at e.g. CES, ALS, and the
like to have the demo show the local area.  Note that some of the reason
for this has been GPS being seen as not particularly reliable in tradeshow
environments.

> I am not sure how navigation demo mode and GPS data should agree.

As mentioned above, they do not in the current demo apps.  I don't see it
being straightforward to do so, as in a stationary demo setup you cannot
really use live GPS data (i.e. the vehicle would not move).  Feeding in
some pre-recorded or mocked GPS coordinates is more workable, the latter
is what I assume the demos being driven by vehicle simulators do.  The
GPS binding in Lamprey and earlier has a playback mode to replay GPS
positions from a file, but it's likely too simplistic to integrate with
routing in the nav demo, there'd likely need to be some development put
into some behind the the scenes signalling to trigger GPS playback.

Scott