Re: Graphics performance on wayland vs eglfs

Wrt to the cluster question, see Scott's answer:

https://lists.automotivelinux.org/g/agl-dev-community/message/9626

On 2/8/22 2:41 PM, Paulo Sherring wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am working (more accurately playing around) on an Instrument Cluster
> application. I am currently based on master and it is basically the same IC
> application we had in past branches.
> I am currently experimenting with GFX (effects, animations, fade in, fade
> out) and video playback.
>
> One thing that I noticed is that if I don't use Wayland (i.e., no
> running compositor and passing QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs), I get much smoother
> graphics, so much that it is visible to the eyes: smoother opacity
> changing, smoother video playback, visual effects such as QML Glow becomes
> really efficient.
>
> So, my question is: is there a way of getting eglfs equivalent performance
> when using Wayland?

This is quite vague, I guess some real numbers could tell how much of a
difference you're seeing between the two. With mesa drivers you could
use GALLIUM_HUD=cpu,fps and have a look at both. Probably that's
possible with rpi4 but probably not with r-car. Same with vivante vs
etnaviv. What platform you're using? Are you sure you're using the GPU
and not llvmpipe/softpipe?

Itself wayland is just a protocol not a drawing API so there's nothing
to make it much for faster, than it currently is. Not really sure what
to recommend at this point, but I guess a difference between the two is
the fact that with Wayland you have multiple clients
and you have composite imagine, while with eglfs you have a single,
full-screen application. But even so,
compositors attempts to make use of the HW, if available, just like
probably happens with eglfs and the KMS backend.

It is rather hard at this point to tell, without some specific use-cases
to compare and more information on the matter.

--
Marius Vlad