Re: Radio #agl #renesas

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021, Francesco ARGENTIERI (KINETON) wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am working on the radio, so I modified a file **AGL.conf** as follow:
>
> ```sh
> [radio]
> fmbandplan=EU
> scan_squelch_level=70
> scan_valid_snr_threshold=7
> ```
> Actually, I have set the FM band plan to work in Italy (as EU).
>
> I am only getting white noise, also tried tuning different stations.

A few things:
- the "scan_squelch_level" setting is only for the RTL-SDR backend,
  you can drop that if you're using the Si4689 on a Kingfisher board.
- I would also advise not specifying the "scan_valid_snr_threshold"
  setting right away unless you are seeing some output in the journal
  from si_ctl that indicates the signal is low.  If you're not able to
  tune to a known station manually and hear anything, it's probably
  premature to play with that setting for scanning.
- Since you're not receiving anything, I'm wondering if this is the
  first time you've used the radio on the Kingfisher?  If so, you
  may need to update the Si4689 firmware by running the
  "si_firmware_update" script.

> While I interrogate the service by *"rds"* I get the correct name of the radio.
>
> Furthermore,  I am planning to extend the support for **DAB/DAB+**, since I found that the chip si4689 (kingfisher board) supports those features.
>
> Where I can find information regarding implementation and documentation about *Cogent's tool *si_ctl**? Thank you.

The si_ctl utility is built from source that comes from a tarfile in the
meta-rcar BSP, see:

bsp/meta-rcar/meta-rcar-gen3-adas/recipes-bsp/si-tools/files/si-tools.tar.gz

in an AGL tree, with patches applied by the si-tools recipe there and also
by our bbappend in meta-agl/meta-agl-bsp/meta-rcar-gen3-adas.  With
respect to documentation, I believe there are datasheets floating around
for the Si4689, but AIUI si-tools was hacked up by Cogent from another
open source project essentially for testing.  I don't think there is
anything really available for it beyond reading the source code.

If you are working towards something for use in a product, I'd probably
advise looking at implementing a V4L2 radio driver using one of the other
drivers for Silicon Labs chips as a starting point.  Note also that AFAIK
the Si4689 isn't a necessarily a representative automotive part, the
Silicon Labs chips that get used in vehicles tend to require engaging
with them and working under NDAs.  This came up during the AGL reference
hardware design discussions and ruled out including a radio tuner in it
AIUI.

Scott