Re: Autmount issue

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 17:38 +1000, Sohnaeo wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Here is the mnttab of Solaris client
>
> asqcsat:/ # cat /etc/mnttab |grep autofs

So there is no auto_master references here so why does your ldap entry
say it belongs to auto_master?

Perhaps you load the master map from a file, what's in /etc/auto_master?

> -hosts  /net    autofs
> nosuid,indirect,ignore,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340047
> 1430995592
> auto_home       /home   autofs
> nodevices,indirect,ignore,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340048
> 1430995592

I'd think the ldap entry you mentioned would belong to this indirect
mount map, auto_home and not auto_master.

> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san    autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340061    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/sys        autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340062    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/www        autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340063    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/appl       autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340064    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/gen85      autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340065    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/nottn      autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340066    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/model      autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340067    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/users      autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340068    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/project    autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=5340069    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/workdmp    autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=534006a    1430995660
> -hosts  /net/nfs-cluster/san/repository autofs
> nosuid,ignore,nest,nobrowse,zone=asqcsat,dev=534006b    1430995660

Right, a few host map entries have been accessed by the look of it.

> Users home directories are on NFS, path is nfs-cluster:/san/users/

Yes but the ldap entry below doesn't quite match that either.

>dn: automountkey=ahmedf,automountMapName=auto_master,dc=drivess,dc=rtaa

So the automountMapName possibly should be auto_home but ...

>automountinformation: nfs-cluster:/san/users/cmes/ahmedf

the key should be cmes and not ahmedf or perhaps the
automountInformation should be nfs-cluster:/san/users/ahmedf
but I don't know what your trying to achieve and I don't know what else
you have in ldap.

>automountkey: ahmedf
>objectclass: top
>objectclass: automount

What do you have in /etc/nsswitch.conf?
Presumably it's "automount: files ldap" or "automount: ldap", I can't
tell from this.

In any case Linux autofs is not tolerant of configurations that aren't
quite right and won't just ignore them as Solaris seems to do in some
cases. Perhaps this is the source of the problem.

Really, putting map entries in what should be the master map is the
wrong thing to do and will lead to even more confusion later. For
example, what if you have two distinct indirect maps that have some keys
of the same name but point to different mount locations, how will the
key lookup work out which key belongs to what map?

Even if putting them in the master map ldap object works I recommend
separating them to be under specific map object holders as is seen in
the example I originally pointed you at. It will be much easier to
maintain, especially if your maps grow over time (as most do).