Re: FastTrack 100 TX2

Hi

While it may or may not be possible to disable raid feature on Promise
card by pulling a jumper, here is a better solution:

Disabling Promise RAID (just use it as IDE controller without FastTrak):

In the FastTrak BIOS, choose SPAN with only the first hard disk. Say NO or
OFF to all silly options such Gigabyte boundary etc. You can do the same
thing with Striping (i.e Stripe but with only one disk with all the
options OFF) but I prefer SPAN.

This way, you can boot your Promise Array (which happens to be just SPAN
with one disk in the above case), pass Append Line for booting Linux (not
required for RedHat 8.0) and use the disks as simple IDE disks.

TIPS:

1. Delete disk array in FastTrak BIOS (i.e. no raid defined therefore
disks not bootable), boot off of RedHat CD #1 to install Linux. Do all
your disk partitioning. Then reboot.

2. ONLY when you are done partitioning the disks and you rebooted and made
sure the partitions are all there, you should create any raid in the
FastTrak BIOS.

3. At the time of compiling kernel:
Unselect "Special FastTrak Feature" (because we DONT want to use FastTrak
BIOS)
Select Promise Controller support PDC20xxx (not as module). If you dont
select this your kernel probably will not boot or will boot but DMA is off
Unselect Promise Software raid (because we want a non-fasttrak ide box)

4. Run hdparm utility to make sure your both disks have dma enabled and
time cache reads and disk reads
hdparm -d /dev/hde  (check if dma enabled)
hdparm -tT /dev/hde (time the reads)
(Please be awake when using hdparm command so you dont pass any wrong
options by mistake!)

5. You may have to pass at the time of booting idebus=66

Comments welcome