Re: FastTrack 100 TX2

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 03:31:36AM -0500, Murty Rompalli wrote:

> While it may or may not be possible to disable raid feature on Promise
> card by pulling a jumper, here is a better solution:
>
> Disabling Promise RAID (just use it as IDE controller without FastTrak):
>
> In the FastTrak BIOS, choose SPAN with only the first hard disk. Say NO or
> OFF to all silly options such Gigabyte boundary etc. You can do the same
> thing with Striping (i.e Stripe but with only one disk with all the
> options OFF) but I prefer SPAN.

Need this be done for each disk in the array, or just the first one so that
the FastTrack BIOS is happy that it has been configured?

> This way, you can boot your Promise Array (which happens to be just SPAN
> with one disk in the above case), pass Append Line for booting Linux (not
> required for RedHat 8.0) and use the disks as simple IDE disks.
									^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just what I was looking for!

> TIPS:
>
> 1. Delete disk array in FastTrak BIOS (i.e. no raid defined therefore
> disks not bootable), boot off of RedHat CD #1 to install Linux. Do all
> your disk partitioning. Then reboot.
>
> 2. ONLY when you are done partitioning the disks and you rebooted and made
> sure the partitions are all there, you should create any raid in the
> FastTrak BIOS.
>
> 3. At the time of compiling kernel:
> Unselect "Special FastTrak Feature" (because we DONT want to use FastTrak
> BIOS)
> Select Promise Controller support PDC20xxx (not as module). If you dont
> select this your kernel probably will not boot or will boot but DMA is off
> Unselect Promise Software raid (because we want a non-fasttrak ide box)
>
> 4. Run hdparm utility to make sure your both disks have dma enabled and
> time cache reads and disk reads
> hdparm -d /dev/hde  (check if dma enabled)
> hdparm -tT /dev/hde (time the reads)
> (Please be awake when using hdparm command so you dont pass any wrong
> options by mistake!)
>
> 5. You may have to pass at the time of booting idebus=66

Would this be "idebus=100" or "idebus=133" for the faster controllers or does
the kernel only recognize up to 66?

Thank you!
-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
	They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary