Re: redhat 8.0 and HighPoint372 ATA/133 RAID

I think what we mean here is this:

we would call this a "hardware RAID":
Starting from scratch, build a new computer from new parts (blank, brand new
drives, new motherboard, new RAM....)
IDE1 is CD-ROM
IDE2 ----------
IDE3(blue coloured connector on motherboard) is drive #1
IDE4(blue coloured connector on motherboard) is drive #2

boot up
CTRL-H to access HighPoint BIOS
Define and build the RAID in the HighPoint BIOS screen,
(mirror your two drives, stripe them or whatever you want to do with them)
up to this point, the OS you choose has nothing to do with it.

then reboot to install your OS of choice.
The (insert your OS here) will communicate with the HighPoint chip on the
motherboard.

OR::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The alternative, (Which is what we would call software RAID,) is this:
build your new computer,
disable the HighPoint RAID in the BIOS.

IDE1 is drive #1       slave the CD-ROM onto the cable.
IDE2 is drive #2
IDE3 -----------
IDE4 -----------

Then in the regular RedHat installation, you would setup the software RAID
during the installation procedure between hda and hdc,
md0, md1, etc etc
Let the OS control the RAID.

I suppose if we get down to semantics, both methods really just use drivers,
but since the two methods are so greatly different it's easier to
differentiate between the two of them by calling the first method "hardware"
and the second method "software".??

Like I said earlier tho, the last time I did this I used the HighPoint 370
controller and I was able to disable the RAID function in the BIOS while
still being able to use IDE3 and IDE4 as regular IDE connectors.  I still
needed to use the HighPoint drivers for RedHat in order to communicate
through IDE3 and IDE4, but I let RedHat make the RAID.
This SOYO DRAGON board doesn't seem to allow that choice.  It's either ON
AND RAID, or OFF and no IDE3 or IDE4.