Re: TX2000 and ATARAID - HOW? Please, help.

dstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dave Stubbs wrote:

The "X" value needs to be the same partition number as previously in
SCSI emulation mode.  For example, if your previous drive was
/dev/sda2 then it should now be /dev/ataraid/d0p2, etc etc.

I would strongly recommend using GRUB instead of LILO.  You can boot
GRUB from a floppy and try different configurations until you get one
that works, and then put it into the menu.lst file in the grub
directory on the HDD.  I'm surprised anyone still uses LILO,
considering how powerful GRUB is.

 The difference is lilo works on every system I've tried in the past 2
years.  I can't say the same for grub.

But do you remember way back in the distant past when you were first
leaning Linux, you probably read all the LILO howto's end to end and knew
LILO like the back of your hand. If you would give GRUB the same kind of
attention until you were as good at GRUB as you are at LILO, I guarantee
you would never go back.

It's not a matter of reading the docs. There are some system where grub simply doesn't work. Generally this is due to something being broken in a mother boards bios. 3 examples off the top of my head:
1)The Tyan 2518 with older revs of it bios would simply fail to boot every often.
2)Many of the new E7500 motherboards from intel will fail to boot via grub complaining that the selected image is to big to fit into memory.
3)The dac960 driver in 7.3 doesn't work with the root= line in grub.

 Lilo is fairly brain dead, but rarely fails to work.