TX2000 and ATARAID - HOW? Please, help.

I have a machine with TX2000 (promise soft raid), two disks in raid 1 mirror boot drive and Linux 7.3 installed (not custom – right from the disk)

Everything works fine with FastTrack scsi emulation module, but I cannot upgrade kernel or anything like that.

I tried to compile kernel 2.4.19 as described here: http://www.murty.net/ataraid/nativeraid.html

Everything went fine, as described, although it did not change lilo.conf file – I updated it manually.

But the new kernel does not boot (unable to mount root partition) – it sees drives as individual drives, and /dev/ataraid/d0pX does not mount (BTW, how I determine X?).

Also, during the boot process I did not notice any mentions of ATARAID at all…

Please, anyone tell me how to upgrade to ataraid on 2.4.19 step-by-step.

Also, I have limited physical access to machine.

Thanks in advance

Max