Hardware raid on the Asus P4T533 (software vs hardware raid)

Does anybody in this list have successfully installed hardware raid on the Asus P4T533? I just installed Redhat 7.3 on this board using a bootable software Raid 1 array (using the primary and secondary IDE). I’ve been thinking about this and I have some concerns. Which configuration will provide a more reliable data storage? Everything comes down to software vs. hardware Raid I believe.

Software Raid:
What happens if a hard drive fails and the machine reboots? How would the software know which hard drive download the information from if the software has not been loaded in memory?

Hardware Raid:
If a hard drive fails, I could go into the BIOS (after replacing the failed drive), rebuild the array, and boot up normally. The disadvantage in this case is that some more work would be involved when upgrading to a more recent software release or kernel.

Dilemma:
Am I right on these statements? Is hardware raid a more reliable approach? Will a hardware raid approach be cumbersome when upgrading to a new release of the OS or the kernel (as opposed to software raid)?

Regards,

Carlos T. Mata