HPT370 RAID0 hangs under heavy load

I'm getting really, really frustrated.

I've got an ABIT KT7-RAID motherboard which has the HPT370 chip.  I've got a
two-disk RAID-0 array.

Linux appears to be set up beautifully with this array.  My root partition
is on the array, and it boots up beautifully and seems to work just dandy.
UNTIL you flog the array.  Under lengthy, heavy disk access, the system
freezes hard, typically with the HD LED remaining on, though not always.
Any long and hard disk access will do it, the easiest way I've found to
trigger the lockup is by something akin to 'cp -avx /usr /copyusr'.  It'll
work at it for several minutes then invariably hang.

Oh, I'm using ReiserFS, dunno if that makes a difference.  (does make it
easier to recover from these lock-ups)

I'm using the latest version of both highpoint and A-bit bios.  (HPT bios is
2.31)

With Linux 2.4.18 as well as 2.4.19 the behavior is identical.  The
current -AC kernel hangs on boot-up during the various IDE probes.

I've not tried the driver's on Highpoint's page because I'd rather not have
to fool with initrd and scsi emulation.  Just sounds yucky.  I've browsed
the archives as well as googled and can't find anything helpful.  So... I'd
have conclude that either no one else is having this problem, no one else
has noticed this problem (as it only happens under HEAVY load)....  Should I
try earlier HPT bios's?

ACPI is disabled...

ANY feedback from folks running similar setups would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Berck