RE: RedHat 7.3 and Abit KG7-RAID

Maurice,

I don't know exactly what kind of RAID chipset you have on your Abit
mainboard but perhaps this is also usefull for your situation:

Here is something I posted to the list some time ago - I still did not
get any time to write the howto:-)

Hi there,

I recently bought myself an Abit-VP6 Dual PIII mainboard which includes
the HPT370a ATA-RAID controller from High Point Technologies. Off-course
I wanted to install Linux on some mirrored disks... Here is how I did it
(it works...)

1. download the Red Hat driver disk and modified kernels from Highpoints
website: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/RedHat_v73_370_372.zip
2. start up your system and create the mirror RAID in the Highpoint
BIOS... 3. install Red Hat using the downloaded bootdisk, driver-disk
and kernel disks (you have to follow the instructions supplied by
Highpoint !!!) 4. Now download the latest kernel sources (currently
2.4.18). 5. Download the HighPoint HPT370/HPT370a OpenSource driver from
their
website: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt3xx_opensource_v13.tgz
6. Configure your new kernel but DO NOT use the HPT370 support offered
by the kernel -> this DOES NOT WORK, at least NOT with an ABIT VP6... 7.
make sure to include SCSI support and SCSI disk support... 8. compile
the new kernel. 9. compile the HighPoint driver (this will result in a
kernel module) 10. reboot your system...

I realize that this is a very abstract description... I'm writing this
stuff at work and do not have my notes at hand:-) I will write a more
detailed howto later today or this week... Meanwhile, I think the
experienced Linux users will know how to get this working...

Sincerely,

Martijn Olivier Tigchelaar,
DataServe.