pdcraid & software raid

hi all - i'm new to raid and i've a couple of questions regarding the
promise fasttrack (lite:( {so-called} raid support.  i've got an msi
mobo with the pdc20265R onboard and promise fasttrack bios 1.3.?

from what i understand the ataraid module with the pdcraid module
together only support raid-0. now, i had a tough time finding any
information on the web about how the promise pdc20265R was supported
under linux and i'm now kicking myself to get some raid-1 working here.
anyhoo - i eventually found this gpl ataraid project and am very
greatful for all the support and effort you stars are putting into this.
as my contribution - if i can get this working - i'm going to write the
how-to for other late-night devotees.

...but i've pretty much given up on the (no)promise raid for now.  or am
i getting disheartened too soon?

following my pains my plan was then to simply set up software raid over
the main ide bus, but then i don't have anywhere for the dvd+rw (it
won't work as a slave on ide1).

so now i'm stuck here -> i can find no indication whether it is safe to
turn the onboard raid support back on and set up software raid over the
extra ide ports made available, and if so how i should go about it.  is
the ataraid needed with software raid running on ide3 & ide4?  do i
proceed as outlined in the software-raid howto / boot+raid+lilo howto?
or is there some critical no no i'm about to commit here.

i pray that one of you guru's has the answer cuz i can not think of
where else i may go next.

thanks in advance for even reading this.

jinn

ps - just incase late night delerium is making me gugel-eyed and absent
minded:  i'm trying to get this all up and running on mandrake 8.2 with
two ata100 drives and a dvd+rw.  other than that it's a pretty standard
system (except for the [no]promise).  fyi mandrake 8.2 comes with kernel
2.4.18.

also - i've installed the raidtools-0.90 and /proc/mdstat still only
reports the following:

Personalities :
read_ahead not set
unused devices : <none>