Re: pdcraid & software raid

Hi Jinn,

On 10 Apr 2002, Jinn Koriech wrote:

> hi all - i'm new to raid and i've a couple of questions regarding the
> promise fasttrack (lite:( {so-called} raid support.  i've got an msi
> mobo with the pdc20265R onboard and promise fasttrack bios 1.3.?
Ah, the famous pdc20265R. I nearly ripped my hair out over this one some
months ago as a customer had baught some cool "raid mainboards" with this
chip.

> from what i understand the ataraid module with the pdcraid module
> together only support raid-0.
Well, that was the case. I have to admit, that I have not really followed
the ataraid development for some time, but I think the RAID-1 support was
added by now.
You should wait for someone knowing to answer this question, though.

> so now i'm stuck here -> i can find no indication whether it is safe to
> turn the onboard raid support back on and set up software raid over the
> extra ide ports made available, and if so how i should go about it.  is
> the ataraid needed with software raid running on ide3 & ide4?
The problem is, at least on our boards, the ide3 and 4 ports were
exclusively used for the ataraid.
I heard reports of some boards having a jumper with which you can switch
of the raid part of the controller and just use them as regular ide
channels.
If you should have one of these boards you may be able to use them with
software raid.
If this however is not the case, you'll be able to only use softwareraid
on the primary and secondary controller. That is, the standard VIA (or
whatever) controller and not the Promise one.

> also - i've installed the raidtools-0.90 and /proc/mdstat still only
> reports the following:
>
> Personalities :
> read_ahead not set
> unused devices : <none>
/proc/mdstat is only used by software raid.
ataraid does not use the same interface, in fact raidtools and software
raid support is not needed to run the disks with ataraid.

hth,
  andreas