Re: Best solution

I'm currently running Linux Software RAID with the disks connected to FastTrak. I have left some free space (couple of megs) at the end of the disks (like Eerin Rosenström said) and it seems to work.

I have some doubt about the transfer speed, though.
hdparm -Tt says that the buffered read speed is about 40 MB/sec.
The disks are Seagate Barracudas (UDMA 100) with an internal transfer
rate of 555 Mbit/s (= 66 MB/s). I don't know what would the transfer rate
be, if the disks were connected to the onboard IDE controller. Maybe
the effective read speed is lower than 66 MB/s.

Regards,
Peter Szymanski (szyman@xxxxxxxxxx)

Hi,
I don´t think that you can get the internal transfer rate over the cable, even with ATA/100. In the german computer magazine c´t 1/2002 are some of the Seagate Barracudas tested and the maximum speed of these disks are around 25 MB/s to 39MB/s in the fastest zone of the disk. So 40MB/s is not a bad value.

Greetings Helge.