2.4.16 cannot mount as root a promise RAID 0 partition

I'm setting up a linux from scratch on a RAID 0 partition(promise 20265 on
the asus a7v266-E).
I tested my new setup, and I cannot manage to make the kernel mount my
/dev/ataraid/d0p2 as a root partition using the kernel option root=.
Is that normal knowing that everything is detected ?

Shall we have one day a 2.4.x kernel module for "full speed" support of this
bloody chip ? Because I was told that the performance of this open source
driver is quite terrible(I didn't benchmark it... in God we trust...). Was
it meant just to support the specific RAID ways of this chip and that's it ?

Sylvain