Re: MSI-694D+Promise+Raid 0

I'm not sure if it's the solution you're looking for (or even useful in your case), but we use motherboards that have the Lite controller on-board with RH7.2...The way I've gotten it to install (as a standard IDE drive on /dev/hde and /dev/hdg--not ataraid), is to create a separate 'array' on each disk. Do this by inserting one disk, booting, creating the array. Take out disk 1, insert disk 2 and repeat. After this, there will be two 'arrays' defined.

Red Hat will happily install and work on these disks, treating them as standard hdx disks. Since we don't use any Win stuff on these boxes or use the Promise drivers, it causes no problems. We use standard Linux software RAID mirroring on the disks, instead of the ataraid software RAID.

List Account wrote:

I wish I knew!  I have a 694D and a K7TPro2AR and BOTH have the "lite" RAID
Controller.  I would LOVE to get this thing or my ASUS A7V-133 RAID to work
with RH 7.2 in RAID 1.

I have used the software hack on the A7V-133 to make it go from "lite"(RAID
0 only) to full FastTrak 100 capabilities.(Freeware software hack..email for
the link).  I could always flash it back cause it is itching to become an
email server....and do away with 2000 Server!

I am hoping that some Kind soul will share the "key to the kingdom" with
us!! Hint Hint

Thanks,

WJ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fabrizio Gabbiani" <gabbiani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 4:51 PM
Subject: MSI-694D+Promise+Raid 0

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would have input concerning the following

problem.

I have a linux box with an MSI 694D motherboard (dual PIII  processor)
with an on
board RAID driver from Promise (Fasttrack 100 Lite, 20265). The machine
is happily
working with linux RH 70 (2.2.16-22smp) and the Promise driver
(rhddsmp-110b6).
I wanted to upgrade to a 2.4 kernel and my understanding was that the
newest kernels
should have incorporated support for RAID Promise 20265. I downloaded
2.4.16 compiled with the ATA
RAID options, SMP support and installed it on an additional harddrive.
However, as soon as I activate the
RAID array (i.e. physically plug in the power to the two hard drives
that make up the array)
the booting sequences freezes right after detecting the 20265.
Everything works fine if there
is no RAID array (ie., the two hard drives are power unplugged).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to debug this.

Fabrizio.

-- Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.swelltech.com Web Caching Appliances and Support