Re: MSI-694D+Promise+Raid 0

Yes. We've been running this configuration on one box for about 2 months and a second for a couple of weeks, with several long benchmark runs during that time (our boxes are web caching appliances--so the benchmarks are extremely hard on the disks). Never had any hint of stability of performance problems. I'm confident enough in it that we're now shipping boxes based on this new motherboard--just shipped out two this week.

I won't tell you to use it without testing it in your environment, but I sleep easy at night knowing that we've got two of them in the field now configured this way.

Why do you ask? There isn't anything particularly esoteric about it--it just works around a limitation of the Lite BIOS, which severely restricts the options available for configuring 'hardware' RAID on these controllers. Because it's not really hardware RAID, and we're not using it anyway, I don't see much cause for concern. The Promise chipset on these controllers has been in use under Linux for months with no problems.

List Account wrote:

Has this setup proven itself over time?  When did you implement this
approach?

Thanks!!

WJ
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fabrizio Gabbiani" <gabbiani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: MSI-694D+Promise+Raid 0

Yes, that's a pretty good solution! It is not exactly what I want
though. But I guess in the worst case I can fold back onto that one.

Joe Cooper wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the solution you're looking for (or even useful
in your case), but we use motherboards that have the Lite controller
on-board with RH7.2...The way I've gotten it to install (as a standard
IDE drive on /dev/hde and /dev/hdg--not ataraid), is to create a
separate 'array' on each disk.  Do this by inserting one disk,
booting, creating the array.  Take out disk 1, insert disk 2 and
repeat.  After this, there will be two 'arrays' defined.

Red Hat will happily install and work on these disks, treating them as
standard hdx disks.  Since we don't use any Win stuff on these boxes
or use the Promise drivers, it causes no problems.  We use standard
Linux software RAID mirroring on the disks, instead of the ataraid
software RAID.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.swelltech.com