Re: RH 7.2 and TX4

Michael Steinhart wrote:

Yesterday I posted a request to the ataraid list for information about using and setting-up ATARAID controllers on servers. The only response that I got was NOT to use ATARAID but to use software raid. I am sure that there is more information then that available.
Software raid is not the solution that I need to use.

This is not an attack on anyone just a request for HELP.

Mike

Michael Steinhart                  OPCenter
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  PMH Network Services, Inc.
http://www.opcenter.net            284 Ackerman Ave
                                  Emerson, NJ 07630

Ok, lets try it...
First of all, there is no driver disk available so far, at least no one that works. That is not a problem of the driver itself but of the installer. It only recognises the ide-devices (e.g. /dev/hde and /dev/hdg) but not the raid-partitions that are set up in the controller bios. I build a driver disk a few weeks ago and it works as far as the ataraid-devices (/dev/ataraid/d0pX) are concerned, but the installer is on the cd and I can´t fix it. So you only have ataraid-support in the rescue session.

Stability: I use the ataraid-drivers in 2.4.12-ac5 (raid0) since several weeks and had NO problem. So far...

Arjan (who wrote the driver) said about this:

I'd really recommend using the normal linux software raid (md) for
production use for now.... ata software raid 1 doesn't do failure handling
yet...

So maybe there is no problem if your server only should support raid0, but even for this I would not use it in a production system.

Speed: I can not realy compare the performance of the md devices and the ataraid devices, but if I test the performance of the ataraid partition with bonnie++ it is slower than the vfat partition in dos mode. And even the performance of the /dev/hde and /dev/hdg together is much better than the one of the ataraid device. So I guess if you use the linux build-in raid0 the dissks are much faster than with ataraid.

So if you really want to build a server with linux, there is no need to use the ataraid drivers, because the linux md drivers are much more developed.

I hope I could help you.

Greetings Helge.