Re: Xorg 3D acceleration question (Alder lake)

Hello,

This is probably because you are not using hardware video acceleration.

As I have said in a previous email in this thread, I did enable Hardware video acceleration, I explained how I beleive this improved the battery life considerably, but again as I have no scientific method of testing this (I need the laptop and i don't want to leave it unattended playing video to get a dataset, I can't full tell :)

If hardware video acceleration is enabled and working in your browser,
but does not work on YouTube,
it is possible your CPU does not support the AV1 (or VP9 or VP8) video codec.

I used youtube as a backup, I rather use mpv to play the videos and the audio, browsers are notoriously inefficient when doing compression and decompression of audio, so I did not expect to get good battery life within the browser.

Also:

❯ vainfo
Trying display: wayland
Trying display: x11
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.19 (libva 2.19.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 23.3.0 ()
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointStats
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP9Profile1            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile1            : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP9Profile3            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile3            : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileHEVCMain12             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain12             : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain422_10         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain422_10         : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain422_12         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain422_12         : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain444            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain444            : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileHEVCMain444_10         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain444_10         : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileHEVCMain444_12         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain            : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain10          : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain10          : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain444         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain444         : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileAV1Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain444_10      : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCSccMain444_10      : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP

All the codecs you have asked about have a valid entrypoint, thus they are supported for hardware video acceleration.

I have been using the laptop for about 3 hours now without charging it, and I am at 67%, which is 33% drop, so I can just times this time by 3, and in theory that means it should last for 9 hours at the current usage rate, but I do need to point out that I have also only been replying to emails and talking on XMPP, which are desktop applications and are relatively efficient.

I have noticed that although Intel has tried to make efficient CPUs for laptops, the added cores does cause higher idle energy draw, ideally you want the performance cores downclocked by a lot.

I assume you could optimise this for the best battery life by disabiling the performance cores and only keeping the efficiency cores, but at the end of the day this is x86, a complex instruction set, you don't expect good battery life.

In all honesty it is not even a big deal, I do not particularly care about the battery life its actually I would like to use as little power as possible, less power == less environmental impact, and also the energy bill is cheaper, the battery life is an added bonus!

Like... I do find it funny how people complain about battery life because you almost always have a charger on you, and there is plug sockets everywhere. In cafe, on the train, on the plane even in some bathrooms.

I am not going to pass up additional energy efficiency if it is easy to achieve thats all :)

Thanks for the help!

Take care,
--
Polarian