Re: Xorg 3D acceleration question (Alder lake)

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 12:12 PM Polarian <polarian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To reduce noise I will reply to both Carl and eNV25 in a single email.
>
> Carl:
>
> > IIUC you are looking at the "Overview" pane, and your top 3 basically
> > says your system is idle.  My system does not show HI_SOFTIRQ here, no
> > idea which part it corresponds to...  Anyway integrated GPU usually
> > does not draw a lot of power.  Maybe check "Idle stats" and "Frequency
> > stats" to be sure your CPU is actually put to sleep; on my i5-12400 the
> > cores are >99% in C10, frequency <800MHz.  Also check "Device stats"
> > just in case; I have seen SD card readers constantly consuming power
> > without cards inserted.
>
> Yes this was taken at idle, but after further testing this does not seem
> to be the problem.
>
> I believe the Hardware video acceleration has actually made a noticeable
> change, but I won't know until I have let the battery drain a little and
> see how long it will last.
>
> I wonder if there is a chance that the battery has a bad BMS, I do not
> see how 73wh could be drained in 2-2.5 hours because that would be an
> average of 29.2w which you would definitely feel, but the laptop did not
> feel very hot either...
>
> Maybe it is just because its a new battery? I know some devices (mainly
> android phones) recommend charge cycling the battery a few times for the
> battery life to be properly represented by the operating system, but I
> do not know if the same applies to Linux.
>
> eNV25:
>
> > Actually, xf86-video-intel is not really recommended for most people:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_graphics#Installation
>
> Ah I completely missed this, I was looking at the table. Thank you for
> pointing it out.
>
> As a sidenote, when I did have xf86-video-intel enabled and I played a
> youtube video, the integrated graphics clocked at max and CPU temps
> jumped to 80C in seconds, and there was ~23w drain on the battery, which
> isn't good :/
>
> Simply remove the driver and rebooted and when you play the same video,
> issue doesn't exist. So yes this was definitely a mistake installing.
>

> > Make sure Early KMS is enabled.
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start
>
> Sorry for asking, but why is this useful?
>
> What benefit is there by loading the graphics driver early? As the
> kernel automatically loads it when it boots later down the line (along
> with any other drivers for hardware it detects).
>
> Just curious to see how this would be useful.
>
> As a note after some investigation with powertop, it does seem the
> integrated graphics draw a considerable amount of power decoding 1080p
> video, it is 8w extra to watch a video on youtube. And even more funny
> it jumped 15w when watching through mpv.
>
> What the hell is wrong with integrated graphics, 1080p video should not
> stress modern integrated graphics, so why is it drawing so much power?

This is probably because you are not using hardware video acceleration.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hardware_video_acceleration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hardware_video_acceleration#Configuring_applications

If hardware video acceleration is enabled and working in your browser,
but does not work on YouTube,
it is possible your CPU does not support the AV1 (or VP9 or VP8) video codec.

Try disabling the AV1 (or VP9 or VP8) codec with this extension:
https://github.com/alextrv/enhanced-h264ify