Re: Xorg 3D acceleration question (Alder lake)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 03:40:09 +0100
Polarian <polarian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> No I did not actually check powertop, probably should have.
>
> I have never actually used powertop, for as far as I can remember, I
> have taken a look at the manpage and the ArchWiki page, and the
> following seems to have the highest events (so I assume the highest
> power use?), see the top 3 below (in order):
>
> - tick_sched_timer
> - HI_SOFTIRQ
> - i915
>
> So third place is the driver for the integrated intel graphics, so I
> assume it was a valid assumption that the graphics is one of the
> major power draws.
>
> Is there something specific you are looking for from powertop,

IIUC you are looking at the "Overview" pane, and your top 3 basically
says your system is idle.  My system does not show HI_SOFTIRQ here, no
idea which part it corresponds to...  Anyway integrated GPU usually
does not draw a lot of power.  Maybe check "Idle stats" and "Frequency
stats" to be sure your CPU is actually put to sleep; on my i5-12400 the
cores are >99% in C10, frequency <800MHz.  Also check "Device stats"
just in case; I have seen SD card readers constantly consuming power
without cards inserted.