Re: Very Very strange problem in opensuse 11.1, file uploading reports "not an image file"

There are a couple of choices to debug here.

First, the code you supplied is comparing the mime-type parameters
obtained from the call to:

 $upload_file_type = $GLOBALS
['HTTP_POST_FILES']['profile_image']['type'];

So, first I would echo $upload_file_type and see what it is actually
getting.

Second, in_array() is case sensitive - see if the mime-type is somehow
getting upper case; the $file_type_list function may be converting to
upper.

Third, what is the client doing to set the mime-type?  This is probably
OK (why  mentioned it last) but maybe the type of the upload files is
not being set correctly/at all?

Also, I checked and $GLOBALS simply lists ALL variables in global scope.
So, somewhere you should have a function extracting 'HTTP_POST_FILES'
from the POST data.  (global variable $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA).  You might
want to check that.  Try printing out the $GLOBALS array and see if
there is a variable in it called HTTP_POST_FILES using print_r().  This
will print the array member name => array member value which should
help.

You will have to do more but at least knowing where the problem is is a
good start!